West End - You're never short of things to do
Recreational Activities: Leisure
- Theatre - Experience the unique atmosphere of a live performance at the Georgian Theatre Royal or simply take in a guided tour during your visit to Richmond. http://www.georgiantheatreroyal.co.uk/
- Food and Drink - Yorkshire has a unique food heritage and a visit would not be the same without sampling some of the wonderful food on offer such as York ham; Wensleydale, Ribblesdale and Sheperds Purse cheeses; locally produced cakes and chocolate; preserves and chutneys; farmhouse eggs, organic vegetables; locally reared meats and game. There are a number of farm shops in the locality and the Dales Festival of Food and Drink is held in May in nearby Leyburn. Why not take a look at www.rfgyh.co.uk for further food events in Yorkshire during the year.
- Bird Watching – the Yorkshire Dales National Park is an important habitat for many species of birds. Ground nesting birds such as the curlew, the skylark, red grouse, lapwing and oystercatchers can regularly be seen along with many other species of birds. www.rspb.org.uk
(see wonderful photographs from award winning local wildlife photographer: Paul Miquel on his website).
- Horse Racing – Thirsk, Sedgefield, Catterick and York to name a few offer racing events throughout the year from ladies’ days to family days and championship days. Evening events are also held in the summer months. Visit www.britishhorseracing.com for further information.
- Photography, Painting/drawing, Writing – whatever your interest Richmond and the surrounding area offer much inspiration. Courses are held occasionally in the lovely rolling countryside of Swaledale. For further information visit www.cplhouse.com
- Steam Railway Enthuasists – special events are held throughout the year at a number of railway stations around the locality including the Wensleydale Railway and the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Why not learn to drive a train or step back in time enjoying a ride on a vintage train across beautiful countryside. Information available on: Tel 08454 505474 or by logging onto www.wensleydalerailway.com
- Art and Craft - many wonderful craftspeople offering high quality products made from a variety of materials including wood and wool, clay and candle wax, glass, rope, felt and chocolate live and work in the Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors. There are a number of craft trails available for you to enjoy. Harrogate International Exhibition Centre also hosts a number of Events throughout the year.
- Shopping - Richmond itself offers interest little shops, larger shopping areas can be found in Northallerton and Darlington. If you want something unique there are many craft shops and art galleries in the surrounding areas. For the ultimate shopping experience, designer clothing and more choice Harrogate and York are only a short distance away by car. Leeds, the shopping capital of the north can also be easily reached by car.
- Meditation Courses – First Sphere weekend meditation courses are available for those who want to rise above or ascend beyond the chatter and chaos of the mind into a direct experience of inner peace, happiness and living life in the present moment. For further details, please contact www.thebrightpath.com or Tel: 01748 823162.
- Wedding Fairs, Railway Collectors Fairs, Writing and Art Fairs etc – such events are held on a regular basis within the Station in Richmond throughout the year. For further detail contact www.richmondstation.com
- Exhibitions, conferences, trade fairs, public shows, product launches, banquet and/or evening entertainment – all are available at the Harrogate International Centre. For a full programme of events please contact www.harrogateinternationlacentre.co.uk
Out and About:
- Numerous historical houses, castles, abbeys, museums
- Beautiful gardens
- Black Sheep Brewery & Masham Brewery
- Wensleydale & North Yorkshire Moors Railway